Contact Ivan J. Reich
750 Park of Commerce Boulevard, Suite 210
Boca Raton, Florida 33487
3001 PGA Boulevard, Suite 305
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
- Florida, 1988
- United States Supreme Court
- United States 7th and 11th Circuit Courts of Appeal
- United States Tax Court
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D. with honors, 1988
- Vanderbilt University, B.A. Cum Laude, 1985
Ivan Reich is a partner at Nason Yeager and lead of the Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Restructuring Practice Group. Mr. Reich concentrates his practice in the areas of Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Reorganizations, Commercial Litigation, Lender Liability, Banking, Asset Protection (including Offshore Asset Protection Trusts), Directors and Officers Liability, Real Estate Litigation, Financial Institution Litigation, Internal Corporate Dispute Litigation, Securities Litigation, Debtor-Creditor Relations, Domestic and International Collections, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Disputes, and Appellate Law.
Amongst his many bankruptcy representations, Mr. Reich has served as
- Debtor’s counsel in the Chapter 11 Reorganizations of the Naranja Lakes Condominium Association, Balboa Street Beach Club, Inc., and the US Capital Holdings/ Plantation Fashion Mall (all in the Southern District of Florida),
- Unsecured creditors committee’s counsel in Chapter 11 cases of Conseco Finance (Northern District of Illinois), Berwick Black Cattle Co. (Central District of Illinois), the largest ob/gyn practice in Florida, Femwell Group Health, Inc. (Southern District of Florida), American Financial Group of Aventura (Southern District of Florida), Tutor Time Learning Systems, Inc. (Southern District of Florida), and Shores of Panama, Inc. (Northern District of Florida),
- Trustee’s counsel in ER Urgent Care Holdings, and in Merendon Mining (Nevada), Inc., the largest Ponzi scheme in Canadian history (both in Southern District of Florida), and
- Buyer’s counsel for purchasers of fast food restaurant franchisors and franchisees in the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, and the Northern Districts of Georgia, a perfume manufacturer in the Western District of Texas, and the assets of over 5,000 residential home parcels in the Southern District of Florida.
Mr. Reich is a past President, President Elect and Recording Secretary of the Commercial Law League of America, the nation’s oldest and largest creditors rights organizations, where he has also served on its Board of Directors, and as Chair of its Young Members Section, Bankruptcy Section and Southern Region. For years, Mr. Reich has served on the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges’ Coordinating and Joint Planning Committee, and spoken at their conferences.
Mr. Reich helped to start and organize a national coalition of bankruptcy lawyers advocating for bankruptcy venue reform and has lobbied, spoken and written extensively on the issue of bankruptcy venue reform in Washington and around the country. He also served on and has written for the Florida Bar Journal Editorial Board, is a long time member of the Florida Bar’s Business Litigation Committee, Bankruptcy/ UCC and Bankruptcy Judicial Liaison Committees, a member of the Rules of Judicial Administration Committee, chaired and was a longtime member of the Bar’s Judicial Evaluation and Judicial Administration Committees, and chaired and was a member of the 17th Judicial Circuit’s grievance committee.
Mr. Reich served as the Chair of the Commercial Litigation Section, and on the Board of Directors of the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, and is a member of the Dade County Bar, Broward County Bar, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Turnaround Management Association, the B’nai Brith Justice Unit, and the American Bar Association.
In addition, Mr. Reich is an active member of the local business and civic community:
- He has chaired, been a member of the Boards of Directors and served as legal counsel to the Miramar/Pembroke Pines Chamber of Commerce, and the Southwest Broward Chamber of Commerce.
- He served on the Board of Directors of the Broward Alliance, Broward County’s economic development organization.
- He has served on the City of Pembroke Pines Economic Development Board, and the Town of Davie’s Police Pension and Water Advisory Boards.
- He has served as Vice President and on the Board of Directors of both the Kensington at Chapel Trail, and the Estates of Stirling Lakes’ Homeowner’s Associations.
- Reich’s involvement with the National Conference of Community and Justice, formerly the National Conference of Christians and Jews (“NCCJ”) led to the implementation of a prejudice identification and reduction program within Broward County’s elementary schools.
- Reich served as pro bono legal counsel, on the Board of Directors, as Vice President, and as chair of the security committee, for the David Posnack Hebrew Day School, the largest Jewish Day School in Broward County.
- He has served on the Board of Directors of Temple Beth Ahm Israel in Cooper City, and Temple B’nai Aviv in Weston, where he also served as pro bono legal counsel.
- Reich has chaired the Jewish Federation of Broward County’s Annual Campaign Dinner.
- He has chaired both the B’nai Brith Youth Organization’s (“BBYO”) local alumni association, Leader Action Network, and adult advisory board.
- He has served on the Board of Directors of the Broward County Orloff Central Agency of Jewish Education.
- He is actively involved with the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee (“AIPAC”) and the Anti-Defamation League (“ADL”).
- Reich has also served as pro bono legal counsel to Florida Bible Church and School.
- He is a long-standing member of the Broward County Democratic Executive Committee.
- He worked as a staff member on the United States Senate Governmental Affairs Committee for then Senator, and eventual Vice President Albert Gore, Jr., and worked on Vice President Gore’s 1984 senatorial and 1988 presidential campaigns, as well as the Presidential Campaigns of Senators Gary Hart and Alan Cranston.
- Reich served as an intern to Fla. State Rep. Peter Deutsch, the Tennessee Democratic Party, and Tennessee Gov. Ned Ray McWhorter.
Awards and Honors
- Reich is a graduate of the Miramar/Pembroke Pines Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership program and Political Training Institute, and has been recognized for his outstanding contributions to the community and the Chamber of Commerce by the Miramar/Pembroke Chamber of Commerce when he received both their annual Pinnacle and Chairperson’s Awards.
- Reich is also a graduate of the FBI’s Citizens Academy, and Leadership Broward.
- Reich has previously been named bankruptcy lawyer of the year and an Up and Comer by the South Florida Business Journal.
- Been featured several times for case of the month by the Daily Business Review.
- Honored by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners with Ivan Reich Appreciation Day on July 28, 2002.
- Named to Florida Trend’s Legal Elite since 2010 and Florida Super Lawyers since 2008 in the area of bankruptcy.
Mr. Reich has spoken and written extensively in multiple publications and around the country on numerous subjects primarily in the areas of bankruptcy and collections, including venue reform, asset sales, getting cases out of bankruptcy court, attorney’s fees, landlord rights in bankruptcy, offshore asset protection trusts, bankruptcy asset sales, assignments for the benefits of creditors, judgment enforcement, and creditors’ committees.
He has written numerous articles for and has spoken at numerous conferences, including those of the Florida Bar, the Commercial Law League of America, the Internal Association of Commercial Collectors, the American Bar Association, American Bankruptcy Institute, Turnaround Managers Association, National Association of Credit Managers, and the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges.
Mr. Reich has also served as an adjunct professor in bankruptcy law at Nova Southeastern University, and in business law at Broward College, and has lectured on the law to high school, middle school and elementary school students at both public and private schools throughout Broward County.